Oral health is all about early detection and prevention
- Fluorescence and transillumination technology have been proven successful in identifying soft and hard tissue abnormalities.
- DOE SE provides dentists an X-ray vision to easily identify abnormal tissue that might develop into oral cancer or dental caries through the contrast of green healthy fluorescence and dark abnormal tissue.
- It is pleasant and fast with no need of rinsing the mouth.
DOE SE system uses high power LED illumination and high contrast Fluorescence Viewer for oral exam beyond normal visualization capabilities.
- Small, Cordless, and Reliable
- Ease of access to detect unreacheable areas including the back throat, the cause of HPV virus induced cancer
- No hair drier cooling fan noise
- No need to rinse the mouth
- Multi-wavellength LED illumination
- Always ready without sleeping mode
- Easy to document cases with office camera
- Low recurring cost with disposable sleeves
Includes DOE exam wand, violet light head, fluorescence viewer, patient protection goggle, charging stand, power adapter, 100 barrier sleeves and DVD training guide together with office reference documentations. Optional Metal Storage and Carrying Case and upgradable FUSION light head are also available for expanded use of the device.
CDT Code: D0431
This system is relatively inexpensive. Every dentist should be getting it.
Dr. Jeffrey Hoos
I’m a big believer in oral cancer screening. By examining and finding cancer at its earliest stages, it allows us to give the patient the best chance to beat this disease. Early on in the development cycle of the Identafi device (way before it was part of DentalEZ) I was tinkering with the device. Cancer screening is something that every doctor and hygienist should be doing. Now with the market seeing multiple devices (Dentlight DOE, LED Dental Velscope Vx) and the Identafi, doctors have more choices in reliable devices than at any time in history.
Cancer screening is something that every doctor and hygienist should be doing. We have been very pleased with its performance and with the increased visibility it provides. While wearing the magnification and using the filters, tissue exposed to the violet light appears as a greenish color while potential areas of concern show up dark. The contrast is extremely good, which makes the exam process easier to perform.
Dr. John Flucke
Adding to the value of Fusion curing light is the ability to conduct and oral cancer examination that will identify abnormal tissue warranting further investigation. The DOE kit comes with a snap-on head for the Fusion light as well as snap-on filters for your loupes.
I am a firm believer in and advocate for oral cancer prevention through early diagnosis and the DOE system is a very good way to conduct a fast and non-invasive examination of the oral cavity.
Dr. Howard Glazer
The Fusion Light is one GREAT all-around light for the dental office. You get the benefits of three lights in one! Curing, Transillumination and Oral Cancer Screening. The Curing power is remarkable, the power of the white light attachment for caries and cracked tooth detection is great and the ability to use the DOE attachment for an enhanced oral tissue/cancer screening and evaluation makes this light the complete package!
John Comisi DDS., M.A.G.D.
I’m sure as new technologies develop, they will be incorporated into this unit.
James Bowers, DDS
DOE makes the potentially life-saving examination pleasant and fast.
Dr. George Freedman
The curing of composites was enhanced through the use of DentLight’s Fusion and Kerr Dental‘s Demi Plus.
DentLight Fusion is a pen-grip-style curing light that has high output and can also be upgraded to a cancer detection aid. The Demi Plus continues the Dematron tradition with gun-style high-power curing. I am appreciating the faster curing and feeling better about the depth of cure from these lights.
I also reduced the size of the headlight on my loupes with a small LED light from DentLight called the Nano loupe light. The light was quite a bit brighter and smaller than my previous model.
By Dr. Scott BenjaminThe most important function of dental care is a thorough assessment and evaluation of the patient’s oral and related systemic health. An exam should never be focused on just one condition, and that includes cancer. One of the biggest mistakes that clinicians make is understating the true value of an oral screening for a multitude of conditions and over-hyping a single disease. The improper communication of these procedures has greatly reduced the perception of the significance and importance of theRead more
By Dr. George FreedmanThe scientific training of the dental practitioner is focused on diagnostic skill. While the clinical procedures that we perform are highly technical and often demanding, it is the detection of disease and the decision-making that precedes treatment that is truly the hallmark of the profession. Thus, the techniques and devices that assist us in becoming better diagnosticians are always welcome. DentLight has introduced the DOE Oral Exam System that helps dentists and hygienists to identify abnormal tissues that may otherwiseRead more
Why do I need DOE?
- The most important function of dental care is a thorough assessment and evaluation of the patient's oral and related health status. This includes dental caries that lead to cavity, decays under old composite, soft tissue problems such as cheek bite and worst of all, early signs of oral cancer.
DOE is a portable non-invasive dental oral exam system that addresses all of the above and more. It offers illumination to aid visualization during oral procedures and works as an adjunct to magnify and enhance the visualization of mucosal abnormalities, lesions, dental caries, fractures and endodontic canal orifice without the need of oral rinsing or switching off the room light.
DOE offers a win-win solution for both dentists and their patients. It helps patients avoid health problems that could be cost-prohibitive and even life-threatening at a later stage. It helps dentists, together with other modalities, to market their practice to deliver cost-effective yet profitable procedures to give their patients a piece of mind.
How does DOE work?
- Similar to the green fluorescence protein (GFP) that exhibits bright green fluorescence when exposed to blue light in jellyfish, numerous publications [Ref.] in the public domain have established the similar fluorescence in human soft tissue when excited under violet-blue wavelength light.
Fluorescence from jellyfish is easy to see due to its high quantum efficiency of close to 80% meaning 80% of the excitation light could be converted to the fluorescence emission. However, fluorescence from human soft tissue is much more difficult to observe due to not only lower quantum yield but also broader fluorescence emission.
DentLight is one of a few companies that achieved such feat in its capability to image soft tissue fluorescence with high resolution and high contrast. The patent-pending DOE design implements the most advanced technology in LED optics for long-range illumination to the back of the throat and high contrast fluorescence optical filters to maximize emission image contrast while suppressing both room and excitation light.Together with its award-winning modular design, DOE delivers to our customers the portable and reliable solutions for complete oral exam.
1) De Veld DCG et al: The status of in vivo autofluorescence spectroscopy and imaging for oral oncology. Oral Oncol. 2005 Feb; 41(2): 117-31
2) Svistun E et al: Vision enhancement system for detection of oral cavity neoplasia based on autofluorescence. Head Neck. 2004 Mar; 26(3): 205-15
3) Utzinger U et al: Optimal visual perception and detection of oral cavity neoplasia. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2003 Mar; 50(3): 396-9
4) Heintzelman DL et al: Optimal excitation wavelengths for in vivo detection of oral neoplasia using fluorescence spectroscopy. Photochem Photobiol 2000; (72)1: 103–113
5) Betz CS et al: Autofluorescence imaging and spectroscopy of normal and malignant mucosa in patients with head and neck cancer. Lasers Surg Med. 1999; 25(4): 323-34
6) Ingrams DR et al: Autofluorescence characteristics of oral mucosa. Head Neck 1997; (19)1: 27–32
7) Onizawa K et al: Fluorescence photography as a diagnostic method for oral cancer. Cancer Lett 1996; 108(1): 61–66
What are the differences between DOE and other brands?
- DOE is much smaller and portable than Velscope or Identifi enabling detection of back throat imaging which is a common place of problem.
- DOE has proven integrated rechargeable battery and smart electronics for constant ready exams without the need of changing battery (Identifi) or sleeping mode (Velscope).
- DOE delivers much higher power LED illumination than Identif similar to Velscope yet integrates passive cooling without the annoying fan noise and reliability headache in the long run.
- DOE implements patent-pending high contrast optical filter with much better extinction ratio than Identifi yet integrates with magnification loupes for both consistent high resolution imaging and suppression of room light while other brands need to turn off the ambient light.
- Best of all, DOE is modular and integrates components that can perform a lot more procedures than the other brands including in addition to soft tissue exam: 1) Composite viewing for old composite removal; 2) High-power and guided transillumination for dental caries, fractures, and root canal; 3) Intra-oral Illumination; 4) Bleaching; 5) Optional fast composite curing
- And what more, the price is right!
Is DOE just for “Oral Cancer” Exam and what if I give patients “False Positives”?
- DOE is a full oral health exam system not just aimed at screening oral cancer. One of the biggest mistakes that dentists make is over-hyping a single disease like oral cancer while not understating the true value of an oral screening for a multitude of health conditions. The improper communication of these procedures has greatly reduced the perception of the significance and importance of the oral exam.
- DOE is to discover any abnormality, no matter what it might be, from dental caries that lead to cavity, decays under old composite, soft tissue problems such as cheek bite and worst of all, early signs of oral cancer.
- No single device, such as DOE or X-ray machine for that matter, can deliver 100 percent accuracy or effectiveness in detecting conditions such as oral cancer. Detection and diagnosis is accomplished with the accumulation of data from multiple sources and modalities. DOE is an effective screening device for first level oral exams beyond the tip of the iceberg. Signals of problem, e.g., dark tissue with loss of fluorescence, should lead to further diagnosis including salivary diagnosis and oral pathology exams.
What is the difference between DOE and DOE SE?
- DOE SE is a custom version of DOE kit that primarily addresses oral cancer screening with a simple viewing and control system. DOE SE wand operates continuously for 1 minute with a single push of a run button. Fluorescence image is viewed through the custom Fluorescence Viewer similar to a standard face goggle. Due to the small size of the LED light and high optical illumination, DOE SE enables both intra and extra oral access which are critically important for the detecton of anterior and posterior regions of the oral cavity.
- DOE digital version has expanded capability to perform composite curing and bleaching.
DOE SE uses fluorescence imaging technology combining collimated high power LED beam and high contrast fluorescence viewer. This allows the most cost-effective implementation with easy access of oral cavity while achieving field of view large enough with symmetry images.
The product is designed with a high power violet LED that allows up to 4 inch working distance. The small light head enables intraoral access for easy detection in the back throat areas where HPV virus induced cancer develops.
|Parameter||DOE SE||Velscope Vx||Identifi|
|Source Wavelength||Violet||Blue||Violet, White, Amber|
|Source||High Power LED||Multiple LEDs||Low Power LED|
|Cooling||Passive (no fan)||Active Fan (noisy)||Passive (no fan)|
|Illumination||High and Low.Extra or Intra Oral||HighExtra Oral||LowIntra Oral|
|Detection||Direct Fluorescence Viewer||Direct line of sight||Indirect viewing via mirror|
|Ambient Room Light||On or Off (preferred for better image)||Off||Off|
|Working Principles||Fluoresence (soft and hard tissue)||Fluorescence (soft tissue)||Fluorescence and Reflectance (soft tissue)|
|Power Source||Rechargeable Li-Ion||Rechargeable Li-Ion||2 AA batteries|
|Battery Run Time (minutes)||40||12||120|
|Battery Recharging Time||90 minutes||3 hours||Replacing upon depletion|
|Construction||22x195mm solid-metal wand||22mm diameter, 88mm deep, 190mm high.Plastic handpiece||250 mm long (handpiece)|
|Reliability||Proven over 6-years field operation||Unknown. Source of failure including rechargeable battery, mechanical moving fan, plastic housing, and charging base.||Unknown.|
|Further Indications for Use||Fast Polymerization (Composite/Bonding Agent/Sealant) and Caries/fracture Detection||No||No|
|Upgrade Options||Yes from FUSION||No||No|
|Documentation||Yes with standard, intra oral or add-on camera||Yes with add-on camera||Yes with office camera|
|atlantadental.com||Atlanta Dental Supply||678-584-4884|
|benco.com||Benco Dental Co.||800 462-3626|
|BURHART DENTAL – ID||(208) 898-9575|
|BURKHART DENTAL – Las Vegas||(702) 454-3599|
|Burkhart Dental – Dallas||972-471-2727|
|Burkhart Dental – OKC||(405) 948-7085|
|BURKHART DENTAL – Phoenix||(602) 437-1701|
|BURKHART DENTAL – Portland||(503) 252-9777|
|Burkhart Dental – Reno||(253) 474-7761|
|BURKHART DENTAL – San Diego||(858) 694-5504|
|Burkhart Dental Supply – Houston||(281) 821-7000|
|Burkhart Dental Supply – Austin||512-206-0401|
|carolinadental.com||Carolina Dental Supply||336-883-8100|
|darbydental.com||Darby Dental Inc.||800-448-7323|
|dhpionline.com||Dental Health Products Inc.||800-626-2163|
|goetzedental.com||Goetze Dental||800 692-0804|
|henryschein.com||Henry-Schein Dental – Grand Rapids, MI||(616) 299-4757|
|henryschein.com||Henry-Schein Dental – INDY||800-472-4346|
|henryschein.com||Henry-Schein Dental – RENO||800-472-4346|
|henryschein.com||Henry-Schein Dental – San Diego, CA||(858) 625-0019|
|henryschein.com||Henry-Schein Dental- Nashville-TN||(615) 516-2903|
|midwestdental.com||Midwest Dental Equip||940-322-4592|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Albuquerque, NM||(505) 884-6747|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – AUBURN HILLS, MI||(248) 475-8700|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Boise, ID||(208) 375-7341|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Bryant, AR||(501) 847-6696|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – COLUMBUS OH||(614) 791-9141|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – El Segundo, CA||(310) 426-3100|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Ft. Lauderdale, FL||(954) 717-1206|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Hawaii||(808) 682-3875|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Indianapolis, IN||317-733-4900|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – LAS VEGAS, NV||(702) 731-4267|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – NASHVILLE, TN||(615) 884-2060|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Salt Lake, UT||(801) 467-1119|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – San Diego, CA|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Shreveport, LA||(318) 797-6010|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – SPOKANE, WA||(509) 838-8581|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Springfield MO||(417) 865-9222|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – Sunnyvale, CA||(408) 773-0776|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson – TAMPA, FL||(813) 744-2900|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson -Knoxville, TN||865 218 1310|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson -LaVista NE|
|Patterson -PELHAM, AL||(205) 985-0126|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson -Wichita, KS||(316) 315-1800|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Hazelwood||314-595-1300|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – AURORA||(303) 393-1081|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Blythewood||803-691-2202|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Boone||515-433-1700|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Central||800 328-5536|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Des Moines||(515) 254-1700|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Dinuba||559-595-1450|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Fargo||(701) 235-7387|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Fort Worth||817-837-2700|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Kent||253-850-4200|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Lenexa||(913) 492-6100|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – Mount Joy||717-653-3060|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – PEWAUKEE||(262) 408-4100|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental – South Bend||574-289-8485|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental Supply – Chicago|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental Supply – Houston||(832) 590-5000|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental Supply – Round Rock||(512) 218-5200|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental Supply – San Antonio||(210) 256-5424|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental Supply – Tulsa||(918) 627-1195|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental Supply INC – S. Lake||(817) 305-4200|
|pattersondental.com||Patterson Dental- Jacksonville||904-741-4480|
|pearsondental.com||Pearson Dental Supply||800 535-4535|
|safcodental.com||Safco Dental Supply Co.||(847) 412-9331|
|Scott’s Dental||253 858 9474|
|smartpractice.com||Smart Practice||(800) 522-0800|
|tinmandental.com||Tin Man Dental Supplies||800 554-6394|
|trdental.com||TR Dental Supplies||(562) 431-2446|
|tristatedental.com||Tri-State Dental Supplies, Inc.||(800) 378-7754|
|youngsdental.com||Young’s Dental Supply||(562) 404-3500|
|American Dental Systems||+49 (0) 8106 - 300 300|
|APOldent||(482) 274-7091 x8|
|www.cigalah.com.sa||Cigalah Group||126 148 2181|
|henryschein.ca||Henry Schein – Canada||(905) 646-1711|
|www.optimahg.com.au||Optima Healthcare Group|
|raydent.com.sg||Raydent||+65 6741 5411|